Friday, September 16, 2011

Friendship

Friendship means a lot of different things to people.  For instance with the internet and all the social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace, friendship seems to mean anything from strangers who play the same games as you do, to best friends from grade school, to co-workers, and everything in between.  For me friendship has a much deeper meaning.  I use Facebook, and many of my "friends" on there are family members and people I have met through chat room conversations in the past year. There are also those people on my friends list, as well as people who are not using Facebook but that I know in real, face-to-face life who, I hope will always be part of my life in one way or another.  ALL of my closest friends mean the world to me.

Tonight I just wanted to say that even though things we have to deal with from day to day may take our time away from each other, I know that those people I am closest to will always be special to me no matter what life brings.  Sometimes things happen in our lives that keep us so busy we lose touch for awhile.  At those times it might take some extra understanding to realize that we don't have to take the absences personally.   Sometimes these absences signal a need for extra prayer for our friends.  Other times it might be us who need the extra prayer and understanding because we are going through something and need to get off to ourselves to deal with it. 

It's often too easy to get offended and hurt when a friend needs time and space and "disappears" for awhile.  I am guilty of letting that feeling get to me sometimes, but then I remember that we all need that space now and then, especially if we have something we really need to do to meet life head on. We should not have to know what is going on with our friends at such times.  It's good to be able to let them know that we understand and are there for them if and when needed.  It's also good when we are going through difficult times to know our friends are there for us as well.  I know when I am dealing with the hard stuff in life I want to know my friends really care about me, but I also want to know that if I need time alone, they can respect that, go on with their lives, but keep me in their prayers, while letting me know now and again that they are still there for me.

Sometimes it is hard to tell our friends what is going on.  Other times we need to talk.  The same thing is true of our friends.  We all have our moments where silence is best and other moments when we can't say enough.  I just hope I can be the kind of friend that my friends need and want.  

For all my wonderful friends out there, if you are reading this, I just want to say that I hope you know you all mean the world to me.  And for those of you who are going through difficult times, if you need to talk, I am always here for you.  If you need to be left alone, I understand and send my prayers.  Life without friends is a miserable existence.  I am so glad you are all in my life.  I love you all.

No comments: